Monday, August 13, 2007

Summertime

Well, I have not updated in awhile. We have had computer problems and been out of town some. Last weekend, Coby, Ava and I went to Tulia, TX to visit my dad, step mom, and other family. It was a nice weekend. We played a lot in their beautiful back yard and ate LOTS of great food. I will post pictures later of Ava with her cousins Elliott, Reid, and Delaney. She got loved on and had lots of fun.

This past week, Ava and I went swimming a bunch. We met up with Wendi at her apartment pools and Janet, Dusty, and Amy joined us. Yesterday we had a swim party to go too. It was so much fun.

Well, the only other thing I really had to say was to recommend a book that I am just crazy about. I finished the book, Death by Suburb by David Goetz. I would recommend this book to anyone. It really hit home with me I think because I have struggled so much in the past with trying to fit in, having a certain image, materialism, etc. I love the simple way of living, really. And it was good to hear someone write about the importance of this way of lifestyle. Living in the suburbs, driving certain vehicles, being a part of certain organizations are not bad things. But they become hindrances in our life when we find our value in those things. Sometimes we spend so much time chasing programs instead of truly ministering to people who can give us nothing in return. Sometimes we focus on making sure our child is the best soccer player by putting them in the special league that requires them to practice every night for 3 hours instead of placing the importance on family time together or helping another family in need or just simply reading on the back porch. Investing ourselves in things that cannot bring us glory but bring God glory is the way to live. I love how Paul talks about this when he talks about being content whether in plenty or in need. Our contentment should come from the Lord. We live in a world that teaches us differently, but we have to remember that we are in the world but not of it. So if you are looking for a good, but challenging book to read, pick up Death by Suburb.

2 comments:

holly said...

oooooh---that sounds like a wonderful book...i am going to get it!

Marc and Charity said...

Sounds like a great book. However, having moved here, things are pretty simple! Sigh.