Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Just Jesus Class

After 4 1/2 years, our beloved Bible Fellowship class is changing. We are moving back to Sunday mornings and joining up with another Bible Fellowship class to create a new class. This is a very good thing and Coby and I are thankful to the leaders over us who have the vision to see that this is the best decision. It is an answered prayer of ours on so many different levels. One of many reasons this is good for us is that we have long desired to focus more on discipleship and Bible studies in our class instead of directing. We have loved directing the class, but over the past year our heart's desire has changed. WE know that God has plans to prosper us and not to harm us according to the Scriptures. This is hard in a sense b/c change is always hard. This has been our class. Not mine and Coby's but our class, our friends'. A group of us started with this class in January of 2003. It is hard to let that go in a way. But we know that this move is the best thing. I am excited to see what God is going to do. Because I know He is going to do something big.

So I wanted to share my heart on what the Just Jesus class has meant to me.... 4 1/2 years ago, Coby and I began a newly engaged/newly married class together. We had been engaged about 2 months. We immediately knew that this was the place for us at our church, Prestonwood. In that time, we have made the best of friends in our class. The reason they have become like family to us is because we have done life together. We have played softball together on Friday nights, gone to each other's weddings, tutored at inner city apt. complexes, eaten out together too many times to count, prayed before class, traveled on mission trips such as Greece, Boston, etc., been there during tough times, celebrated during happy times, met in homes going through numerous Bible Studies, leadership meetings, picnics at the park, meeting at the hospital when new babies were born, cooked meals for each other, even sat at the hospital when others have been sick or hurt, gone on camping trips, ski trips, mom's play groups, worked at the local food pantry, collected money/items for people in need, helped move each other, fall festival, helped clean up South Dallas, many nights serving in various ways at the church, Super Bowl parties, Birthday parties, cook outs.... I could go on and on. In a way, this class has helped shape who we are. We have had the best teachers in the world. We have grown so much spiritually through encouragement, teaching, Bible Studies, accountability. We are different now. And now we are all raising our babies together. I am thinking in particular of a situation where a friend went to spend the night with another friend right after she had her baby so that she could get some sleep. This friend had a 5 month old at the time and had to work the next day. Now that is selfless, y'all! These are the people in our class. So I guess I don't really think I can describe truly how my heart feels. I love these people. I love my church. I love my God. We will embark on a new adventure. Our people will all move together. We will just be adding more to our group. And I'm pretty sure that is a good thing. But I just wanted to pause and reflect on the past. Because our pasts shape our future. I do believe we are all better people b/c of our relationships that we have had. I am blessed to be surrounded by people who love the Lord their God with all of their hearts, souls, and minds.

2 comments:

Tootsie said...

I love your heartfelt comments on your blog. It is a true witness of your love for the Lord. You and Coby are precious.

Tootsie

The Cobbs said...

Sally, you said it better than any of us could! Thank you for your written thoughts which I so strongly agree with. Josh and I thank God for the Just Jesus Class and we look forward to our next step together:)