Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Experiences with the Jehovah's Witnesses

Coby and I have on many occasions opened the door to our home to the Jehovah's Witnesses that frequent our block.  He has done some study on what they believe and how to share our faith.  A normal interaction with them always involves me getting overly passionate and then angry and flustered and not being able to articulate my heart or find the right verses to share.  Coby, on the other hand, always remains calm, cool and collective while knowing exactly what needs to be said to them. 

So today I saw two older men with two young boys walking up the other side of our street.  Coby was not home and I knew that they would make their way to my door soon enough, but God gave me a warning to prep.  I love my ESV study Bible.  In the back, it tells you the basis for the Jehovah Witness faith and how to share the gospel and message of the Trinity with them.  They do not believe that God and Jesus are one.  Coby arrived just in time when they knocked on our door.  We let them share their spill about how this world is stressful and we all needed to read our Bibles and they wanted to leave some pamphlets called The Watchtower and another book with us.  They were ready to drop the books off and leave (not very good Jehovah Witnesses, btw).  We said, wait!  "Can we talk to you some more?"  Coby got into an interesting conversation and then it was my turn.  AFter the guy showed us a verse from his Bible, I remember thinking, "Never heard that before."   But he was denying Jesus as God, the Trinity, the deity of Jesus( fully God and fully man).  My turn,  "Sir, do you mind turning to John 1:1, 14?"  He turns and I read to him from my Bible,

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." 

Yep, there's no denying the truth of this scripture.  So I just knew he was going to get on his knees, repent of his sins, and ask Jesus to be Lord of his life.  But instead, he just said, "well, that's not what my version says..." 

So then, he and Coby got into another entire conversation about the validity of the different versions of Scripture.  I guess I'll have to do more study to share more effectively with our neighborhood friends.  I did tell him that my relationship with Jesus as Lord daily confirms my daily study of his word.  That is a faith issue and hard to help others understand. So I will pray for the veil to be removed from their eyes.  "But their minds were hardened.  For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted,  because only through Christ is it taken away.  Yes, to this day whenver Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts.  But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is remoned.  Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  And we all, with unveiled face, beholdinig the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another.  For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit."  2 Cor. 3:14-18

2 comments:

The Cobbs said...

We all need to be prepared to give an answer to what we believe....thanks for reminding us of this! We're proud of you both:)

Erin said...

Very inspirational...you are a wonderful role model for for me...thanks for sharing.